Did I ever imagine I would be involved in a cookie swap party? Let alone a virtual one? Well now I have, and I’m so glad I did! Kat from She Cooks, He Eats has a super cute blog all about cooking—and a big fave of mine BACON! She was nice enough to host a cookie swap party and after seeing some of the yummy suggestions by the other bloggers I knew I had to get in on this thing.
To view the original post with everyone’s cookie recipes you can click : here
Back to my cookies now……I decided on a sugar cookie with frosting and shape them all like makeup until I realized….whoops. This is for the holidays, so think Santa, think snow, ornaments…whatever. I finally decided on the easiest and prettiest ones I found, Molasses and Spice Cookies. You may have seen them called molasses cookies, ginger cookies–I’m not 100% sure this is the same as gingerbread but they are goooOOOOD! Just look at them 🙂
A Chewy spiced cookie that could easily be adjusted to the holiday by color of sugar sprinkles!
Servings: approx. 30
3/4 cup shortening
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup molasses
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
colored sugar in red and green from the baking aisle in the market
1. melt the shortening in a pan on the stove, and cool.
2. Add sugar, egg, and molasses, beat well. I chose Grandma’s. Can you ever go wrong with grandma’s? C’mon…..
3. In a separate bowl, sift dry ingredients together and add to the pan. Mix well and chill at least 3 hours over overnight. make note that it will be difficult to mix with any utensils–I eventually kneaded the dough together by hand until I saw no dry spots.
4. Form dough into walnut-sized balls and then roll them into your colored sugar. Place on greased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
5. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 8-10 minutes.
6. Store in airtight container to keep from getting overly crisp. Mine stayed soft and chewy for about 3 days …..before they disappeared!
Enjoy! P.S feel free to visit all around my blog and facebook page, I’m really a beauty product addict but really wanted to get in on all the cooking fun. kat makes me wanna have a bakery filled with cool gadgets after seeing her gift guide posts!